Saturday, November 19, 2011

How fast would a car have to be going to knock over a telephone pole?

I was in a car collision last night (car vs telephone pole). I was in the passenger seat so I have no clue how fast we were going but I am just curious how fast we would of had to be going in a Hyundai accent to take out a small telephone pole.





it wasn't a very thick pole but I was surprised that it snapped in half.|||Depends on:





Mass of car


Thickness of telephone pole


Condition of telephone pole


angle pole is struck


how well the pole is installed





Occasionally, telephone poles fall down from age, so it would be difficult to say for sure what exactly woudl do it.|||Just 10 MPH would do it. It's whiplash that snaps it. I'll bet the pole snapped about half way up and not actually where the car hit it didn't it?|||Car won't knock over a properly installed power pole. What normally happens is that the pole snaps off at it's weakest point. And that can happen at virtually any speed.|||Not that fast...40mph could do it

No comments:

Post a Comment