Friday, December 9, 2011

What are some objects that people need to be inside to use?

Something like a car or telephone booth, and something electronic. I want to write a sy-fy short story, and it involves a time machine. I dont want to use a car because that suggests Back to the Future, and a phone booth is too close to the TARDIS from Doctor Who. I need something interesting, but I'm having writers block... :P please help me!|||My first thought was a sleeping bag, but I guess that doesn't really fit your specifications, does it?



You could make it a place, like the Bermuda Triangle or Oregon's Vortex.



Tanning booth

Scuba gear

Jacuzzi

Coffin

Elevator

Meat locker

Train

Fun house

Necklace

Chair lift

CAT scan



EDIT: @Kirsten. Okay... So that was both sad and exceptionally silly. While I'm sure we all appreciate the sentiment, I politely disagree, and I hope you didn't think this opinion of yours would hold any impact on how she feels about what she's doing. I can't see why it would, it's just smoke. You do realize that there is more to writing than just the objects that influence it, right? Heard of mystery? Heard of characters? And there is nothing wrong with asking for help if you're stuck on something trivial like this. There is honor in charity, so just answer the question next time instead of acting like a douche and trying to make a person doubt the worth of their own existence. It's extremely petty. Now go hug a puppy or something, I can feel your deepseated unhappiness from here.|||Thanks Amanda. I hope she didn't make you feel bad at all. A premise in a work of fiction is the point you're trying to prove, like an argument in an essay. It's an idea that drives the plot, so unless she thinks your premise is that "Tanning booths lead to time travel", she is completely wrong...

Report Abuse


|||...in thinking that you're asking us to come up with your premise. A premise would be more like "To be free you must be strong", while it may not really be true, it's true for the situation of the story. So what she's saying holds no weight simply by being completely absurd.

Report Abuse


|||That's not writer's block. It's laziness. How can you ask other people to come up with the central premise of your story? You don't sound like much of a writer.|||a refrigerator

No comments:

Post a Comment