Friday, December 2, 2011

What does a bodyshop putting a lien on my unpaid car mean?

My car had an accident with a fallen telephone pole. At the time was not insured cuz the car was not in use. So I took it to bodyshop and was told it was totaled. But I'm still paying on it monthly. Bodyshop put a lien on my car. Does that affect my agreement with the loan even tho I'm paying on time monthly?|||It doesn't change a thing regarding your auto loan. It just means you have to pay them both if you want to keep your car. The body shop can't sell your car because the auto loan takes precedence, but they can keep it until you pay the bill or prevent you from selling it.|||Why would you owe a body shop money unless YOU authorized them to fix the car. The only way to get them to release the lien would be to pay them the money you owe. If you do not, they can foreclose on the lien, take your car and sell it for what you owe them. If you owe more than what it sells for, you will have to pay the rest off along with the original purchase loan.|||You apparently owe the body shop money.

No comments:

Post a Comment