Friday, December 2, 2011

What information does a car dealership retain from a test drive?

I live in Ontario, Canada and I was treated very differently after returning from my test drive. I had given them my licence and telephone number in order to get the keys. I did not have to sign anything and they indicated that they would take a photocopy of my licence.





How long can they old onto that photocopy? How do the PIPEDA laws apply to car dealerships?|||In the US, if you want to test drive a car, they ALWAYS photocopy your license. After all, they want to make sure you can actually drive as well as for security reasons. I don't know how long they keep the photocopy for but I did receive a phone call from dealerships afterwards inquiring whether I was going to come back to purchase their vehicle.|||When I sold cars, it was in the states though, we either shredded it or gave it to the customer after the test drive if the deal didn't go any further . The reason they make a photo copy is for insurance purposes. if you got into an accident on the test drive, they would have to prove you are a licensed driver.





also, if you didn't return with the car, then we know where to find you.





not sure what PIPEDA laws are, must be a Canadian thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment